Monday, April 27, 2009

First (and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th...) Temper Tantrum!

On the 22nd, Hope turned 14 months and had her very first Temper Tantrum (or so I thought). We had just come home from work/day care. The meltdown started when I took her out of her wagon (she wanted to ride longer) and took her inside the house. Then I went to change her diaper and she was kicking and twisting all around. After many unsuccessful attempts to get her to sit still I popped her leg. She kept doing it so I popped her leg again and that was it... she was arching her back and throwing her pacifier. I knew this was bad as she NEVER rejects her precious pacifier or "sucker" as she calls it, so I just put her on the floor. She was crying so hard, (you know that cry where they can't breathe?) so I called Keri thinking maybe Hope was hyperventilating and Keri said Hope had done this a few times for her and not to worry. She is just so incredibly mad and needs to cool off. Just ignore her and she will eventually get over it and she did after about 20 - 30 minutes. I have NEVER seen her like this and I didn't like it. What happened to my sweet angel I am always bragging about?? Well, that was Tuesday... she proceeded to have a couple more temper tantrums over the next few days. I guess the "terrible twos" aren't just for two year olds anymore?? My girlfriends all laughed at me saying "welcome to the club this is what we have been telling you about!!"
On a more positive note, Hope is really starting to talk!! She is saying all sorts of words these days. "Thank you, Hi, Bye-Bye, Lili, Ella, Popo, Papa, "Mammy" for Grammy, Ball, "Pope" for Hope, Becca, Kenny, Sucker" She is repeating a lot of what we say and the other day she even said "golf ball". She is still using sign language to communicate and is learning the farm animals with our new DVD. After I dropped her off at day care last week, she signed "Mommy Bye-Bye". Also last week, I had her in a new pair of shoes and Ms. Keri said she did the sign for "hurt" while messing with her shoes, so Keri took off her shoes and she was fine. Apparently her new shoes were hurting her feet and she was able to tell Ms. Keri! Isn't that amazing??

No comments: